Dr. Bertrand W. Hayward was elected as president of Philadelphia Textile Institute in 1954, after serving as the Institute’s director for seven years. In his 19 years as the president, Hayward was instrumental in expanding the Institute.
In Hayward’s first year, the Institute became accredited by the Middle States Association of College and Secondary School and construction of the school’s first separate dormitory—Scholler Hall—was completed. Four years later, during the school’s 75th year, the building of a new student union building—Althouse Hall—got underway.
In 1958 Dr. Hayward authorized the changing of the school's mascot from the Weavers to the Rams.
In 1960, the Institute experienced a big change when Philadelphia Textile Institute became Philadelphia College of Textiles and Sciences (PCTS).
The construction of the Pastore Library—now the Architecture and Design Building—started in 1967. The expansion continued in 1970 when PCTS purchased Roseneath Field, which added seven acres of land to the campus, and the current residence of the president. An additional 22.5 acres were bought in 1972 when the College acquired the Lankenau School. The land became the home of Archer Hall, Downs Hall and the Student Center.
Hayward retired from the College in 1973. The building that presently houses the School of Textiles and Materials Technology and the School of Science and Health—Hayward Hall—was named in Hayward’s honor.
Hayward’s education includes a B.S. from Colby College; M.A.s from Columbia University and Harvard University; and LL.D.s from Colby, Philadelphia College of Osteopathy and Drexel Institute of Technology.