Men’s basketball falls to Kutztown in double OT, 75-72

Men’s basketball falls to Kutztown in double OT, 75-72

POTTSVILLE, Pa. – In his return to Martz Hall, senior guard Nick Schlitzer (Pottsville, Pa./Pottsville) recorded 22 points and a season-high 12 rebounds for the Philadelphia University men's basketball team in a 75-72 double overtime loss to Kutztown Tuesday night.

Schlitzer, who last played in Martz Hall in 2011 as a member of the Pottsville Crimson Tide, played all 50 minutes in Tuesday's game, shot 8-of-18 from the field and dished out three assists for the Rams (2-3).

Junior forward Derek Johnson (Conshohocken, Pa./Atlantic Christian) contributed 19 points, four rebounds, three assists, and two steals in 50 minutes of action. Junior forward Peter Alexis (Wilkes-Barre, Pa./Holy Redeemer) added 15 points, five rebounds and three blocks.

Philadelphia owned a 51-44 lead after Johnson recorded a steal and fastbreak slam dunk with 8:30 left in regulation. Kutztown (2-3) responded with a 9-2 run over a 4:28 span to knot the score at 53 on an Austin Beidelman jumper.

Schlitzer made a layup 20 seconds later to put the Rams back in front and junior guard Andre Gibbs (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna) pushed the lead to 57-53 with two successful free throws with 2:42 remaining.

Josh Johnson scored the final four points of regulation, including a dunk with 29 seconds on the clock, to tie the score at 57 and send the game to overtime.

After falling behind 60-57, Philadelphia went on a 6-0 run, capped off by four straight points from Schlitzer, to move ahead 63-60 with 39 seconds to play. Coming out of a timeout, the Golden Bears' Howard Sellars drained a 3-pointer with 20 seconds remaining to make it a 63-63 affair.

Schlitzer's game-winning 3-point attempt with two seconds on the clock missed the mark and the game went to double overtime.

The second extra session started the same way the first one did with Kutztown getting out to a quick lead (67-63).  Alexis tied the score at 69 at the 1:59 mark with a layup.

Kutztown would go 4-for-6 from the free throw line over the next 1:31 to reestablish a four-point lead (73-69). On Philadelphia's next trip down the floor, Kaison Randolph (Trenton, N.J./Pennington Prep) buried a 3-pointer with six seconds left to close the gap to 73-72 and give the Rams life.

Three seconds later, Tynell Fortune sank two free throws to push the Golden Bear advantage to 75-72. Philadelphia had one last attempt with 2.1 seconds remaining, but Johnson's game-tying 3-point attempt was no good.

Fortune led the Golden Bears with 19 points in 37 minutes. Sellars finished up with 17 points.

Philadelphia heads to West Chester for a non-conference game on Saturday, Nov. 29 at 3 p.m.