Men's basketball pulls out 80-75 overtime win over Franklin Pierce to open season

Men's basketball pulls out 80-75 overtime win over Franklin Pierce to open season

PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's basketball team scored the final five points of overtime as the Rams picked up a thrilling 80-75 overtime victory against visiting Franklin Pierce Saturday afternoon in the Gallagher Center.

Coming off of his game-winning basketball against La Salle, Kaison Randolph (Trenton, N.J./Pennington Prep) shot 5-of-9 from 3-point range to pour in a game and career-high 28 points. Brendan Kilpatrick (Norristown, Pa./Malvern Prep) also had a career-day in his first game wearing a Ram uniform with 19 points and a game-high 15 rebounds.

TJ Huggins (Alexandria, Va./TC Williams) added 17 points, 12 rebounds, and five assists. He had six of the Rams' 10 points in overtime.

Philadelphia (1-0) came out strong to start overtime, scoring the first five points—on a Huggins 3-pointer and two Kilpatrick free throws—to take a 75-70 lead with 3:05 to play. The Ravens' Donte Gittens went coast-to-coast for a fast break dunk at the 2:14 mark and Matt Banton drained a 3-pointer 29 seconds later to knot the score at 75.

With a minute to go, Huggins cut into the lane and made a layup to put Philadelphia back in front. After a Banton turnover, Randolph knocked down a 10-footer with 19 seconds remaining to seal the win.

Franklin Pierce (0-1) had the early momentum, getting out to a 15-10 lead on a Ben Mead triple at the 12:21 mark. With the Ravens leading 18-13, Randolph would spark a 15-1 run with a 3-pointer at 10:53 and was capped off by a Kilpatrick put back of his own miss with 6:49 left in the half. During the surge, the Rams shot 5-of-11, 3-of-4 from three, while the Ravens were 0-of-6 shooting and committed two turnovers.

Philadelphia's lead grew to a game-high 14 points (43-29) on a Peter Alexis (Wilkes-Barre, Pa./Holy Redeemer) free throw with 1:04 left in the half. The Rams took a 45-35 lead to the locker room.

Franklin Pierce chipped away at the Philadelphia lead in the second half, until it eventually took the lead (52-51) on a Marvillio Berroa layup with 11:58 to play. The Ravens pushed their advantage to five (58-53) on a Tyler Iacuone 3-pointer at the 9:47 mark.

Behind four of Alexis' 14 points and two more from Huggins, Philadelphia would score six in a row to go back in front 69-68 with 3:51 showing on the clock. After Mike Devitt hit two free throws with 27 seconds left for two of his 15 points, Huggins went 1-for-2 at the free throw line 10 seconds later to send the game to overtime.

Banton came off the bench to lead the Ravens with 17 points in 16 minutes. Gittens added 14 points, seven rebounds, and seven assists.

Philadelphia goes right back to work with a non-conference game against the University of the District of Columbia on Sunday, Nov. 15 in the Gallagher Center.