NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (1-0) opened its 2018-19 campaign with a 66-61 neutral site win over American International (0-1) from North Andover, Mass. at Merrimack College.
The two teams looked evenly matched in the first half of both squads' season openers. Freshman Deondre Bourne, junior Josh Bradanese and junior DeVaughn Mallory combined for 26 of the Rams' 32 first-half points to lead the charge. The trio made 12 of Jefferson's 15 shots in the opening 20 minutes.
With the score tied at halftime, 32-32, junior Kylan Guerra took charge for the Rams, scoring 15 of his 17 points in the second half. The junior point guard made 6-of-8 shots in the second half.
The score was even again with under two minutes to play. With 1:43 on the clock, Jefferson called a timeout but missed a layup out of the break as the play transitioned.
American International converted a layup on the other end to go up 61-59 with 59 seconds remaining. Guerra delivered as he drained a three with 45 seconds to put the Rams up 62-61.
Jefferson thwarted an American Int'l jumper on the next possession as the Yellow Jackets were forced to foul as junior Prince Hickson grabbed the rebound. Bradanese and Mallory each made a pair of free throws in the final seconds as Jefferson walked away with the 66-61 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Rams had four starter in double figures.
- Guerra led the game with 17 points while adding four rebounds and two assists. Guerra went 7-of-12 from the field and 1-of-3 from deep.
- Bradanese connected on 5-of-12 with two three-pointers as he finished with 14 points, four rebounds, three blocks, three assists and two steals.
- Mallory recorded 14 points and seven rebounds in the win. Mallory made six shots on his 17 attempts.
- Bourne scored 12 points in his debut behind 5-of-14 shooting, 2-of-7 from three-point range while adding six rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Hickson grabbed a game-high 11 boards. Hickson also scored seven points with an assist, steal and block in the effort.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 42.6% from the field behind 26-of-61, 27.8% from three-point range, behind 5-of-18 and 81.8% from the line behind 9-of-11.
- In total, Jefferson had seven steals and four blocks in the win.
Jefferson Men's Basketball makes a quick turnaround and plays Merrimack tomorrow, Sunday, Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. from North Andover, Mass. Live stats and live video will be available for the road affair.