PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (7-6, 2-2 CACC) defeated USciences (4-8, 1-2 CACC), 58-48 in a crosstown conference matchup on Thursday night at the Gallagher Center.
Both teams struggled to find a rhythm in the first half, each shooting just 25.0% for the period. The Rams took advantage of seven Devils' turnovers in the frame. Jefferson trailed 8-6 before going on a 9-0 run to take a 15-8 lead at the 7:51 mark. The Rams held the advantage for the remainder of the half and took a 20-15 lead into the locker room.
Jefferson maintained a five-point lead (26-21) early in the second half. USciences warmed up and went on an 11-5 run to go ahead 32-31. Junior Josh Bradanese put the Rams back in front with a three (11:36), which sparked seven straight Jefferson points. The Rams did not trail for the rest of the game. They put the game away with a 9-0 surge that gave them their largest lead of 13 (56-43) with 2:22 to play.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Junior DeVaughn Mallory had the top performance for Jefferson, posting 20 points and 12 rebounds for his third double-double of the year. He was 10-for-17 from the field and added three blocks and two steals.
- Sophomore Alexander Gorton tallied 11 points, including two three-pointers. He also registered four assists and two steals.
- Juniors Kylan Guerra and Prince Hickson each totaled four assists and two steals. Guerra scored nine points.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 39.3% (24-of-61) from the field, 25.0% (4-of-16) from three-point range and 75.0% (6-of-8) from the charity stripe.
- Jefferson committed just seven turnovers, its lowest total of the year.
- The Rams' 58 points was their lowest offensive output this season and USciences' 48 points was the lowest total allowed by Jefferson this year.
- It was the lowest-scoring Jefferson men's basketball game since the Rams defeated the Devils, 59-44 on February 7, 2018.
- The victory was the 1,081st of head coach Herb Magee's career.
Jefferson Men's Basketball visits its first CACC North Division opponent of the season when it takes on Felician on Saturday, January 5 at 3:30 p.m. The Rams defeated the Golden Falcons, 60-56 last year at home.