PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (11-6, 6-2 CACC) kept its hot streak going on Wednesday night, defeating Georgian Court (2-14, 1-6 CACC), 76-55 at the Gallagher Center for the Rams' sixth consecutive victory.
The Rams took the lead early and were ahead 10-7 at the 16:05 mark. Jefferson had an 11-2 run to make the score 21-9 (13:26). Junior DeVaughn Mallory's layup at 11:05 made it 25-10 before the Lions had their own 11-2 rally to cut the deficit to six (27-21). Jefferson responded with 17 of the next 23 points to take a 44-27 advantage at halftime. The Rams were 16-of-26 (61.5%) from the field in the period.
Jefferson continued to control the contest in the second half and did not allow GCU back into the game. The closest the Lions were able to get was 13 (51-38) at the 12:38 mark of the stanza. The Rams' largest lead was 23 (76-53) in the final seconds.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Juniors Kylan Guerra and DeVaughn Mallory each registered double-doubles. Guerra scored 13 points and dished 12 assists to go along with five rebounds, three steals and one block. Mallory totaled 18 points and 10 rebounds for his fifth consecutive double-double. He was 8-for-14 from the field.
- Junior Josh Bradanese tallied a game-high 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting with three makes from downtown. He tied his season-high and added seven boards.
- Sophomore Alexander Gorton poured in 19 points with six three-pointers. Junior Prince Hickson grabbed eight rebounds.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams went 27-of-53 (50.9%) from the field, 10-of-22 (45.5%) on threes and 12-of-16 (75.0%) on foul shots.
- Jefferson had a slim margin on the glass, 36-35.
- The Rams held Georgian Court to 32.3% (20-of-62) shooting, the lowest of any opponent this season.
- Guerra recorded double-digit assists for the fourth time in his career.
- The Rams are now 11-0 against the Lions with six victories coming at the Gallagher Center.
- The victory was the 1,085th of head coach Herb Magee's career.
Jefferson Men's Basketball wraps up their three-game home stand on Sunday, January 20 against Caldwell. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. Last year, the Rams fell at the Cougars, 73-63 during the regular season but topped Caldwell, 75-70 in the CACC quarterfinals.