PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (17-6, 12-2 CACC) used an 18-0 run to take control in the second half and went on to win, 85-69 over Goldey-Beacom (11-13, 9-6 CACC) in a matchup of the top two teams in the CACC South Division on Wednesday at the Gallagher Center. It was the Rams' 12th straight victory.
Jefferson had an early 6-3 lead before the Lightning rallied for 12 of the next 14 points to go ahead 15-8 with 14:16 left in the first half. Down 25-18, the Rams went on a 9-2 surge to even the score at 27 with 7:45 on the clock. Jefferson was able to pull out in front and took a 43-41 lead into halftime. Both teams shot the ball well in the period, with the Rams at 63.0% (17-of-27) and GBC at 51.7% (15-of-29).
The Lightning started the second half with nine consecutive points to take a 50-43 advantage. With the score 54-49 with 14:16 to go, Jefferson took over, going off on an 18-0 run to lead by 13 (67-54) with 7:30 left. Freshman Deondre Bourne led the charge with nine points. Goldey-Beacom pushed back and cut the deficit to six (69-63) but the Rams had another rally, this time a 13-2 surge, to put the game out of reach with under a minute to play.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Junior DeVaughn Mallory led the squad with 22 points on 9-of-15 shooting and 14 rebounds.
- Freshman Deondre Bourne tallied 25 points, tying his season high. He was 7-for-14 with three shots from beyond the arc. Bourne also dished four assists and blocked two shots.
- Juniors Kylan Guerra, Josh Bradanese and Prince Hickson contributed with 15, 13 and 10 points respectively. Guerra had five assists and Hickson grabbed eight boards.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams went 29-for-51 (56.9%) from the field, 9-for-18 (50.0%) from downtown and 18-for-19 (94.7%) from the charity stripe.
- Jefferson outrebounded Goldey-Beacom, 35-22.
- The Rams' free throw percentage was their best of the season.
- It is the fifth time this year that all five Jefferson starters scored in double figures and the Rams are 5-0 in those games.
- The victory was the 1,091st of head coach Herb Magee's career.
Jefferson opens a three-game road trip on Saturday, February 16 at Concordia (N.Y.). Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. The Rams topped the Clippers, 96-85 at home in 2017-18.