BLOOMFIELD, N.J. - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (19-7, 14-3 CACC) had its 14-game win streak come to an end with a 71-67 setback at Bloomfield (17-9, 15-2 CACC) in a battle of the two CACC division leaders on Saturday.
The Rams took an early 6-4 lead before the Bears seized the advantage with a 10-0 run. Bloomfield was in front 24-17 when Jefferson went on a 12-0 rally to take a five-point lead at the 6:06 mark. The Rams maintained the upper hand for the remainder of the period and took a 40-35 lead into the break.
Jefferson opened the second half with nine straight points to make the score 49-35. The Rams were ahead by eight (60-52) when the Bears stormed back with an 11-0 surge to regain the lead, 63-60 with 6:45 left. Junior DeVaughn Mallory hit a jumper at 3:31 to tie the score at 66. Bloomfield went back in front with a layup (2:25) then both teams went 0-for-2 on their next two possessions. The Rams had a chance to tie or take the lead at the 20-second mark but went 0-for-3 at the line. After the Bears made a foul shot (0:14), Jefferson went 1-for-2 at the charity stripe (0:05) but could not get the rebound off the miss. Bloomfield then sank a pair of free throws (0:01) to ice the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Mallory finished with his fourth straight double-double and 13th overall, recording 22 points and 12 rebounds. He shot 8-of-15 from the field.
- Junior Kylan Guerra registered 12 points, four rebounds, four assists and one steal.
- Junior Josh Bradanese picked up a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
- Freshman Deondre Bourne posted 11 points, including a trio of three-pointers.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 39.1% (25-of-64) on field goals, 17.4% (4-of-23) from beyond the arc and 76.5% (13-of-17) from the foul line.
- The Rams' 14-game win streak was their longest since they won 16 in a row during the 2009-10 season.
Jefferson hosts Chestnut Hill in its final home game of the regular season on Wednesday, February 27 at 8 p.m. The Rams topped the Griffins, 85-68 on the road on January 8. Jefferson won its home game against Chestnut Hill, 66-61 last year.