PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (21-7, 16-3 CACC) started the game with a 16-2 run and never looked back in an 86-75 victory at Holy Family (14-12, 10-9 CACC) in the regular season finale on Saturday.
The Rams started out hot, scoring the first eight points of the game and 16 of the opening 18. Jefferson was 6-for-9 from the field during the stretch with four three-pointers. The Rams continued to outplay the Tigers and led 26-6 with 10:18 to go in the first half. Holy Family narrowed the gap over the final 10 minutes and trailed 40-23 at the break. Jefferson shot 48.3% (14-of-29) during the period while holding the Tigers to just 28.6% (10-of-35).
Holy Family outscored the Rams, 19-11 in the first six minutes of the second half, closing the gap to nine (51-42). However, that was the closest the Tigers would get for the rest of the contest. It was a nine-point game (77-68) with 1:55 left but Jefferson was 2-for-2 from the floor and 4-for-4 at the line to secure the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Deondre Bourne totaled a team-high 22 points, four rebounds, four assists and one steal. He was 6-for-9, including 4-for-6 from three, and 6-for-6 from the charity stripe.
- Junior Kylan Guerra scored 20 points on 6-of-10 shooting, 4-of-7 from downtown, with nine rebounds and eight assists.
- Junior Josh Bradanese finished with 19 points, nine rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block. He shot 5-for-9.
- Junior DeVaughn Mallory contributed with 12 points, nine rebounds, one block and one assist. He was 6-of-12 from the field.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 54.0% (27-of-50) on field goals, 63.6% (14-of-22) from three-point range and 69.2% (18-of-26) on free throws.
- Jefferson outrebounded Holy Family, 40-33.
- The Rams shot a blistering 61.9% (13-of-21) in the second half.
- Jefferson's 14 threes were the most in a game this season and the highest number since the Rams also hit 14 against Holy Family on February 24, 2018.
- It was the 12th time this year that the Rams shot over 50 percent. Jefferson is 9-3 in those games.
- The victory was the 1,095th of head coach Herb Magee's career.
Jefferson is the top seed in the South for the CACC Tournament and will host Felician, the fourth seed in the North, for a quarterfinal matchup on Tuesday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. The Rams topped the Golden Falcons, 87-71 on January 5.