SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Thomas Jefferson University men's basketball team (1-0) kicked off the 2019-20 season with an 85-66 victory over Franklin Pierce (0-1) at American International College on Saturday.
The win was the 1,097th of head coach Herb Magee's career as he looks to become just the second college basketball coach ever to reach 1,100 victories.
The teams went back-and-forth at the start with the score tied at seven at the 15:05 mark. Then, the Rams went on a 20-2 run to take a 27-9 advantage with 6:11 to go in the first half. Six different players contributed to the rally. With the score 29-11, the Ravens closed the gap to 10 with a 12-4 stretch. Jefferson increased the margin by three before the end of the half, holding a 40-27 advantage at intermission. The Rams shot 48.4% (15-for-31) in the period with senior Josh Bradanese leading the way with 11 points.
In the second, Jefferson had a 48-35 lead with 16:47 on the clock. Franklin Pierce embarked on a 9-2 run to close the gap to six (50-44) with 14:32 to play. A Ravens' three-pointer at 11:07 cut the deficit to three (55-52). The score was 59-55 when the Rams scored 13 of the next 15 points to increase the cushion to 15 (72-57). Franklin Pierce was able to get back within 10 (74-64) but Jefferson finished the contest with an 11-2 run to secure the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Senior DeVaughn Mallory had a double-double with a game-high 28 points and 12 rebounds. He also dished five assists and was 14-for-21 from the floor.
- Bradanese totaled 15 points on 7-of-14 shooting.
- Seniors Kylan Guerra and Prince Hickson recorded 13 and nine points respectively. Guerra added nine rebounds, four assists and three steals.
- Freshman Darius Kinnel scored nine points and fellow rookie Ja'Zere Noel added 11 points and six boards off the bench.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 50.7% (35-for-69) from the field, 33.3% (6-for-18) from beyond the arc and 81.8% (9-for-11) from the foul line.
- Jefferson won the rebound battle, 35-32.
- The Rams committed just five turnovers.
- Mallory's 28 points tied his career high.
- Guerra surpassed 400 career assists.
- It is the fifth straight year that Jefferson has won its season opener.
The Rams finish their weekend at American International by taking on the host Yellow Jackets on Sunday, November 10 at 2 p.m.