PHILADELPHIA - Naismith Hall of Fame coach Herb Magee added another achievement to his legendary career, picking up his 1,100th victory with the #23 Thomas Jefferson University men's basketball team's 98-79 decision over Kutztown (1-3) on Tuesday night. The Rams are now 4-0 on the year.
Magee is just the second coach in the history of college basketball to reach the mark, joining Duke's Mike Krzyzewski. Magee is in his 53rd season at the helm and has a career record of 1,100-440 for a winning percentage of .714. He is the second-winningest coach in NCAA history behind Coach K (1,136) and first in Division II.
The Rams jumped out to a 9-3 lead thanks to a trio of three-pointers by senior Josh Bradanese. Senior Kylan Guerra and sophomore Deondre Bourne made it five threes to start the game and the score was 15-5. Bourne (10:12) and Guerra (9:45) hit back-to-back triples again to give Jefferson a 22-point advantage (34-12). The Rams finished the half a scorching 12-for-16 from beyond the arc and had a 56-36 lead at the break.
Jefferson continued to pour it on it the second half, starting with six straight points for a 26-point cushion (62-36). Senior DeVaughn Mallory made a layup at the 15:16 mark and the Rams had their largest lead of the game at 28 (68-40). Jefferson was never threatened the rest of the way.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Bourne posted 27 points on 8-of-12 shooting, 5-for-8 from three-point range.
- Bradanese finished with 25 points and six rebounds. He shot 8-of-10, 5-of-6 from beyond the arc.
- Guerra recorded 21 points, nine assists, four boards and four steals. He was 7-for-11 from the field with three three-pointers.
- Mallory tallied 10 points and six rebounds.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot a torrid 62.7% (32-for-51) on field goals, 63.6% (14-for-22) on three-pointers and 83.3% (20-for-24) on free throws.
- Jefferson had 64 of their points from outside of the paint.
- The Rams are 4-0 for the first time since the 2006-07 campaign.
- Jefferson's 62.7 shooting percentage is its highest since a 68.1 clip versus Nyack on January 10, 2018.
- The Rams have shot over 50 percent in all four games this season.
Jefferson hosts #20/23 St. Thomas Aquinas for a Top 25 showdown on Saturday, November 23 at 1 p.m.