MANCHESTER, N.H. – Saint Anselm (6-3) scored the winning basket with 3.2 seconds remaining to defeat the Thomas Jefferson University men's basketball team (7-2), 71-70 on Sunday afternoon.
The score was tied at nine early in the first half. The Hawks posted 10 straight points for a 19-9 advantage. Saint Anselm held the upper hand for the rest of the frame but the Rams managed to get within two (35-33) at the break after sophomore Darius Kinnel drilled a three at the buzzer.
Senior Josh Bradanese started the second with a three-pointer to give Jefferson a 36-35 lead. That started a back-and-forth sequence in which there were three ties and five lead changes until the 11:08 mark when the Hawks were ahead 54-53. The Rams then took control with a 9-0 stretch for a 62-54 advantage with 8:01 on the clock. Saint Anselm responded with 10 of the next 11 points for a one-point cushion (64-63) with 3:42 left.
Senior DeVaughn Mallory made a jumper (3:12), Bradanese had a basket (2:36) and senior Kylan Guerra added a jump shot (1:52) to put Jefferson ahead 69-64. Three foul shots and a jumper by the Hawks evened it at 69 with 1:07 on the clock. Guerra's free throw (0:41) gave the Rams a one-point lead. Saint Anselm was off the mark with a layup (0:18) and fouled to put Jefferson at the line (0:11). The Rams missed the front end of the one-and-one and the Hawks got the rebound. Saint Anselm's Danny Evans drove along the baseline and converted a layup with 3.2 ticks to go. Jefferson was unable to get a shot off before the buzzer.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Mallory upped his double-double streak to five games with 18 points and 11 rebounds. He was 8-for-16 from the field.
- Guerra finished with 18 points, nine boards and four assists.
- Bradanese totaled 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting, 2-of-3 from three, with seven rebounds.
- Sophomore Deondre Bourne scored 10 points.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 47.3% (26-for-55) on field goals, 33.3% (6-for-18) on three-pointers and 75.0% (12-for-16) on free throws.
- Jefferson outrebounded Saint Anselm, 35-28.
The Rams get back into conference play at Georgian Court on Thursday, December 19 at 8 p.m.