ORANGEBURG, N.Y. – Senior Kylan Guerra hit the go-ahead basket with 27 seconds to go to give the #22/24 Thomas Jefferson University men's basketball team (15-2, 8-0 CACC) a 65-61 win at Dominican (N.Y.) (12-5, 5-3 CACC) on Saturday. The game was featured as part of the NCAA DII Showcase.
The first seven minutes of the game belonged to the Chargers as they jumped out to a 10-2 lead. The Rams quickly recovered and scored eight straight points to tie the score at 10 with 9:43 on the clock. Sophomore Deondre Bourne drilled a three at the 7:26 mark to even the score at 15. That started a 10-0 run as Jefferson took its first lead of the game, 22-15, with 4:57 to go. Senior Kylan Guerra hit a pair of threes, the second of which increased the Rams' lead to nine (30-21) with 1:07 left. Dominican made a basket to make it a seven-point game (30-23) at the break.
Jefferson opened the second half with seven of the first 10 points to up the margin to 11 (37-26). The score was 43-33 when the Chargers began a 12-2 run to even things up at 45 with 11:03 to go. The teams battled back-and-forth for the next several minutes until Dominican was clinging to a 61-59 advantage with under two minutes to play. Guerra drew a foul with 1:10 left and made both free throws to tie the game. Both teams came up with a block on the next two possessions and the Rams had the ball with time winding down. Guerra drove the lane and nailed a turnaround jumper from just inside the foul line with 27 seconds remaining. Jefferson forced two Charger misses at the other end and added two free throws to seal the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Guerra ended the game with 19 points, four rebounds and three steals.
- Senior Josh Bradanese registered 15 points, six boards and two blocks.
- Senior Prince Hickson tallied 14 points, eight rebounds, three steals, two assists and one block.
- Bourne contributed 13 points.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 37.5% (18-for-48) from the floor, 33.3% (5-for-15) on three-pointers and 88.9% (24-for-27) at the charity stripe.
- Jefferson scored 20 points off of 15 Dominican turnovers.
- Guerra recorded his 1,400th career point.
- It is the 1,111th career victory for head coach Herb Magee.
Jefferson returns home to face Chestnut Hill on Tuesday, January 21 at 8 p.m.