PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team defeated Caldwell University 9-0 Saturday afternoon at the Legacy Youth Tennis Center to get Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference play off to a strong start.
Philadelphia (3-3, 1-0 CACC) earned points at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles via walkover as Caldwell (0-1, 0-1 CACC) had only five available players.
The tandem of Luis Molina Megias (Gran Canaria, Spain/Atlantic School Garoe) and Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) improved to 2-0 as the Rams' top doubles team thanks to an 8-6 victory over Max Ziegler and Lukas Lemke. Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) and Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) won their first match together, 8-2 against Ferdinand Schnitzer and James Bojko in the No. 2 flight.
Jacobo Atri (Mexico City, Mexico/Colegio Herbeo Monte Sinai) secured the match victory with his 6-0, 6-4 win, his third of the season, at No. 4 singles over Bojko. In his first singles action of the 2016-17 campaign, Juan Velosa (Bogota, Columbia/Gimnasio Campstre San Rafael) defeated Ulysses Leon Farr 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5.
Trifoi evened his singles record at 3-3 thanks to a 6-3, 6-2 win at No.3 over Schnitzer. Haedicke improves to a perfect 6-0 in singles play after knocking off Lukas Lemke at No. 2, 7-5, 6-0. Molina Megias completed the sweep as he earned a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Ziegler.
Philadelphia goes right back to work on Sunday, March 26 with a non-conference match at the University of District of Columbia at noon.
PHILADELPHIA U. 9, CALDWELL 0
1. Luis Molina Megias (PHI) def. Maximillian Ziegler (CALD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) def. Lukas Lemke (CALD) 7-5, 6-0
3. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) def. Ferdinand Schnitzer (CALD) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jacobo Atri (PHI) def. James Bojko (CALD) 6-0, 6-4
5. Juan Velosa (PHI) def. Ulysses Leon Farr (CALD) 6-0, 6-1
6. Cesar Solis (PHI) wins via walkover
1. Molina Megias/Haedicke (PHI) def. Ziegler/Lemke (CALD) 8-6
2. Trifoi/Sison (PHI) def. Schnitzer/Bojko (CALD) 8-2
3. Sean DeBlasio/Atri (PHI) win via walkover
Philadelphia U.: 3-3, 1-0 CACC
Caldwell: 0-1, 0-1 CACC