PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team is back to its winning ways after picking up a 9-0 Senior Day victory over Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) opponent Bloomfield College Saturday afternoon on the Abraham Salaman Tennis Courts.
Prior to the match, head coach Zach Elblin and the Rams honored seniors Luis Molina Megias (Gran Canaria, Spain/Atlantic School Garoe) and Juan Velosa (Bogota, Columbia/Gimnasio Campestre San Rafael).
Sean DeBlasio (Livingston, Texas/Livingston) and Jacobo Atri (Mexico City, Mexico/Colegio Hebreo Monte Sinai, AC) got the match started with an 8-0 victory over Rafique Roberts and Adam Carter at No. 3 doubles to pick up their third win of the year. Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) and Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) notched their fourth straight victory, defeating Thulani Hove and Nikola Seles at No. 2 8-3. Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) and Molina-Megias completed the sweep with an 8-4 victory over the Bears' No. 1 tandem of Vadim Kustov and Ville Keikkiae.
Velosa and Molina-Megias celebrated Senior Day by picking up straight-set victories in single action. Molina-Megias knocked off Heikkilae in a clash of No. 1s, 6-1, 6-2. Meanwhile, Velosa cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 triumph over Roberts in the No. 6 match.
Haedicke became the first Ram to post 10 singles victories as he defeated Kustov at No. 2, 6-2, 6-3. Atri had an easy time in his No. 4 match against Carter, picking up a 6-0, 6-0 win. Sison claimed the No. 5 match over Seles 6-2, 6-2.
Trifoi got off to a slow start in the No. 3 match with Hove, dropping the first set 7-6. He recovered nicely in the second set, taking it 6-0, to even the match at one. Trifoi ended up earned his fifth win of the season, winning the tiebreak 10-6.
Philadelphia (7-5, 2-1 CACC) travels to Millersville for a non-conference match on Monday, April 10 at 2:30 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA U. 9, BLOOMFIELD 0
1. Luis Molina-Megias (PHI) def. Ville Heikkiiae (BC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) def. Vadim Kustov (BC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) def. Thulani Hove (BC) 6-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Jacobo Atri (PHI) def. Adam Carter (BC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Joseph Sison (PHI) def. Nikola Seles (BC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Juan Velosa (PHI) def. Rafique Roberts (BC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Molina-Megias/Haedicke (PHI) def. Kustov/Heikkliae (BC) 8-4
2. Trifoi/Sison (PHI) def. Hove/Seles (BC) 8-3
3. Sean DeBlasio/Atri (PHI) def. Roberts/Carter 8-0
Philadelphia U. 7-5