ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (2-0) defeated the Queens Knights on Sunday afternoon from Rockville Centre, N.Y. by a final of 90-62 to close out an East Region Conference Challenge hosted by Molloy.
The win came as head coach Tom Shirley's 750th of his 38-year coaching career. On Saturday in the season opener, Shirley picked up his 600th win at the school as he enters his 30th season with the Rams.
Jefferson jumped out to an early 22-10 lead after the first quarter while Queens kept the scoring margin close in the second as the Rams had a 13-point margin at halftime, 43-30.
In the third, Jefferson exploded for 33 points while holding the Knights to just 14 as the squad went up by 32 points, 76-44.
From there, the Rams hung it out to win 90-62 to improve to 2-0 on the young season and pick up Coach Shirley's 750th career win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Junior Alynna Williams led all scorers with a career-high 29 points on the day. Williams shot 9-of-15 from the field including 6-of-8 from three-point range. Her six threes also came as a career high. The junior converted 5-of-6 from the free-throw line and added two rebounds with just one turnover.
- Senior Beverly Kum scored 20 points in the win while adding 12 rebounds for a double-double.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski finished with a double-double behind 15 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, a steal and a block on the day. Kaminski is at 999 career points. Kaminski hit 5-of-5 from the line to start the 2018-19 season a perfect 16-of-16.
- Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham recorded nine points for the Rams with a game-high seven assists.
- Senior Erin Maher scored eight with four boards and an assist.
- Sophomore Sabria Lytes (3), senior Valez Jackson (2), freshman Maddie Haney (2) and sophomore Caroline Duffy (2) all got on the baord. It came as the first two career points for Haney in her second outing with the Rams.
AS A TEAM
- Jefferson shot 49.2% from the field (31-of-63), 42.9% from deep (9-of-21) and 19-of-24 (79.2) from the free-throw line.
- The Rams outrebounded the Knights, 44-40.
- Jefferson led the game for 38:12 of the 40 total minutes.
- Jefferson doubled up Queens on points in the paint, 44-22.
Jefferson Women's Basketball now opens its home schedule from the Gallagher Center on Wednesday, Nov. 14 against NYIT at 6 p.m.