PHILADELPHIA – Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham produced a triple-double to lead the Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (7-0) to an 82-56 victory over West Chester (4-3) in the battle of the Rams on Wednesday at the Gallagher Center.
Jefferson is ranked 23rd in this week's D2SIDA Media Poll and they are receiving votes in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
It was a tight affair in the first half, as both teams shot well from the floor. West Chester was 14-of-29 (48.3%) while the Rams shot at a 44.4% clip (16-of-36). There were seven lead changes and three ties in the opening two quarters. Jefferson trailed by one (23-22) with 7:50 left before the break. Senior Erin Maher then made a jump shot to spark a 12-5 run in which the Rams went ahead by six. They led 38-32 at the intermission.
Jefferson dominated the third quarter, outscoring the Golden Rams by a 24-10 margin. This season, the Rams have held each of their opponents to 10 points or less in at least one quarter. The key stretch came when Jefferson reeled off 10 of 11 points to go ahead by 16 (54-38) at the 3:40 mark. The Rams led by as many as 28 (78-50) when Cunningham scored her final points of the night with 3:09 remaining in the fourth. She secured the triple-double with her 10th rebound at 5:04 in the last stanza.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Cunningham's rare feat included 18 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. She was 8-for-13 on field goals and 2-of-2 from the foul line. Cunningham also had three steals.
- Maher finished with 16 points, five boards, two assists, one steal and one block.
- Junior Alynna Williams contributed with 14 points while senior Beverly Kum added 13 points and six rebounds.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski reached double figures in rebounds with 10.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams were 31-of-64 (48.4%) from the floor, 5-for-15 (33.3%) on three-pointers and 15-of-19 (78.9%) from the charity stripe.
- Jefferson controlled the glass, outrebounding West Chester, 44-38.
- The Rams turned the ball over just 10 times compared to West Chester's 16.
Jefferson Women's Basketball begins CACC competition at South Division foe Wilmington (Del.) on Tuesday, December 4 at 6 p.m. The Rams swept the two meetings last year, including a 92-49 triumph at Wilmington.