PHILADELPHIA - The No. 17/19 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (10-0) outscored the Bloomsburg Huskies (7-3), 34-21 in the second half en route to a 56-45 victory at the Gallagher Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Rams are ranked 17th in this week's D2SIDA Media Poll and they are 19th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
Jefferson got off to a slow start, making just four field goals in the opening quarter. However, the Rams used a lot of the shot clock and grabbed six offensive rebounds to limit Bloomsburg's possession time. As a result, the teams were deadlocked at 11 after one. The squads continued to battle back-and-forth in the second. Jefferson led by four before the Huskies rallied for 10 straight points and a 24-18 advantage. The Rams trailed by two at halftime after ending the period with four consecutive points.
Jefferson continued to struggle from the floor in the third, going 3-of-13 for the period. However, the Rams went to the line 14 times, converting 11 free throws. Jefferson also continued to play tight defense, winning the rebound battle by a 16-6 margin. Leading the contest 41-37 entering the fourth, the Rams pulled away in the final frame, outscoring Bloomsburg, 15-8. The key stretch came when Jefferson had an 8-0 run that ended at 4:26 with the Rams ahead 52-41. The Huskies did not get closer than eight points in the final minutes.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Senior Jessica Kaminski led the effort with 16 points and seven rebounds. She also had two assists.
- Senior Erin Maher was a force on the glass, grabbing 13 boards to go along with her eight points and two blocks.
- Junior Alynna Williams contributed with 13 points and senior Beverly Kum followed with 12. Kum corralled eight rebounds.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 30.5% (18-of-59) on field goals, 40.0% on three-pointers (6-of-15) and 77.8% (14-of-18) on foul shots.
- Jefferson dominated the boards, winning the rebound count, 50-30. The Rams pulled down 20 offensive rebounds, scoring 13 second chance points.
- The women held Bloomsburg to just 20.0% (3-of-15) shooting in the fourth quarter.
- It is just the second time in program history that the Rams have started 10-0. The previous occurrence was during the 1992-93 campaign when Jefferson won its first 22 contests.
- The Rams have won their last eight games at the Gallagher Center dating back to last season.
- The final period was the seventh time this season that Jefferson has allowed less than 10 points in a single quarter.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 758th of his career and the 609th at the helm of the Rams.
Jefferson Women's Basketball has its final game before the holidays when it travels to CACC South Division foe Goldey-Beacom on Wednesday, December 19 at 6 p.m. The Rams swept the season series from the Lightning in 2017-18, including a 70-56 triumph on the road.