BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The No. 13/19 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (12-0) used a dominant second quarter to defeat the Bridgeport Purple Knights (7-5), 70-54 on Sunday afternoon.
The Rams are ranked 13th in the latest D2SIDA Media Poll and they are 19th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
The Rams struggled to get going as their first bucket did not come until the 5:41 mark of the first quarter. Jefferson warmed up and made six of its final eight shots in the period but trailed by one, 15-14, heading into the second. The Rams took their first lead of the contest 12 seconds into the frame on sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham's jumper. That sparked a 15-3 Jefferson run that ended with 4:15 left with the Rams ahead, 29-18. Jefferson outscored Bridgeport, 21-9 overall in the quarter and took a 35-24 lead into halftime.
The Purple Knights were able to stay in the game in the third, trailing by no more than 11 and getting as close as five points. The Rams ended the stanza with five consecutive points and went into the fourth with a 51-41 advantage. Jefferson began to pull away in the final period, starting the frame with a 9-2 surge for its largest lead of the contest at 17 (60-43) with 4:56 to play. Cunningham produced seven of the nine points. Bridgeport was only able to close the gap to 12 in the closing minutes.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Cunningham finished with a game-high 22 points on 9-of-16 shooting. She also dished four assists.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski recorded her third double-double of the campaign with 17 points and 14 rebounds. She was 5-for-8 from the field and 7-of-11 at the foul line. Kaminski added four assists, three steals and one block.
- Junior Alynna Williams contributed with 14 points and senior Beverly Kum followed with 12.
- Senior Erin Maher grabbed eight boards.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 48.1% (26-of-54) from the floor, 26.7% (4-of-15) from three and 66.7% (14-of-21) on free throws.
- Jefferson forced 18 Bridgeport turnovers and turned them into 16 points. The Rams committed just 11 miscues, one off their season low.
- Jefferson led at halftime for the first time in four games.
- The Rams are now 13-2 all-time versus Bridgeport. It was Jefferson's fourth straight win over the Purple Knights.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 760th of his career and the 611th at the helm of the Rams.
Jefferson Women's Basketball has a marquee showdown with CACC rival USciences at the Gallagher Center on Thursday, January 3 at 6 p.m. The Devils are also unbeaten with an 11-0 mark and they are ranked 9th and 16th in the two national polls.