PHILADELPHIA - The No. 7/12 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (15-0, 6-0 CACC) held on to defeat the Chestnut Hill Griffins (2-11, 0-5 CACC), 91-86 on the road in a tight conference affair on Tuesday night.
The Rams are ranked seventh in this week's D2SIDA Media Poll, their highest ranking in program history, and they are 12th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
The Rams started out well, scoring six of the first eight points. Jefferson led by seven multiple times in the opening quarter and took a 21-16 advantage into the second. The Griffins began to heat up in the second, pouring in eight of the first 10 points in the period to take their first lead at 24-23. The Rams regained the upper hand until Chestnut Hill produced a three at 3:25 to go ahead 31-30. The score was level at 35 when sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham's jumper put Jefferson in front and the Rams were up 39-37 at halftime.
Jefferson opened the second half with six points in a row to make the score 45-37. The Rams were in control for the rest of the third, leading by as many as 11 (62-51). Jefferson entered the fourth ahead by 10 (64-54). The Griffins cut the deficit to four (66-62) with an early 11-4 rally. Chestnut Hill hit a three at the 5:42 mark to tie the score at 72 and another at 4:16 to go ahead 75-74. Cunningham's layup at 3:13 made it 78-77 and put the Rams in front for good. The Griffins trailed by two (84-82) with 1:24 to go but Jefferson converted seven free throws and allowed just two field goals by Chestnut Hill on seven attempts down the stretch to hold on for the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Senior Jessica Kaminski led Jefferson with 22 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. She added two steals and one block.
- Senior Beverly Kum produced 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting with seven rebounds, three assists and one steal.
- Cunningham finished with 14 points, seven boards, six assists, two blocks and one steal. She was 6-for-12 on field goals.
- Sophomore Sabria Lytes scored 11 points off the bench.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams were 32-for-73 (43.8%) from the floor, 4-for-15 (26.7%) on three-point attempts and 23-for-31 (74.2%) on foul shots.
- Jefferson had a slim 46-45 victory in the rebound count.
- The Rams came up strong in the second half, making 50.0% of their shots (16-of-32).
- The five-point margin of victory tied for Jefferson's smallest of the season (61-56 at Molloy, 11/10/2018).
- Kaminski, the reigning CACC Player of the Week, has scored in double figures in eight consecutive games.
- The Rams now lead the series against Chestnut Hill, 24-4 and they are now 13-2 on the road. It was Jefferson's fourth win in a row at Chestnut Hill.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 763rd of his career and the 614th at the helm of the Rams.
Jefferson Women's Basketball wraps up the three-game road trip at Nyack on Thursday, January 10 at 5:30 p.m. The women took last year's meeting at home, 84-70.