PHILADELPHIA – The No. 5/10 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (18-0, 9-0 CACC) dominated from the jump and defeated visiting Georgian Court (4-11, 4-3 CACC), 64-35 on Wednesday night.
The Rams are tied for fifth in this week's D2SIDA Media Poll, their highest ranking in program history, and they are 10th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
Jefferson trailed just once early in the contest. The Lions led 5-2 within the first two minutes but the Rams then finished the quarter with a 23-4 run and took a 25-9 advantage into the second quarter. Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham scored 12 points during the surge. GCU was able to get within 12 in the second but Jefferson was ahead 34-17 at the break. The Rams continued to build their lead throughout the second half, leading by as many as 30 late in the fourth.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham posted a game-high 17 points and added six rebounds, four steals and four assists.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski tallied 16 points and eight boards. She also had two steals and two assists.
- Junior Alynna Williams scored 10 points and senior Beverly Kum contributed with nine points, 11 boards, four steals, two blocks and two assists.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 30.8% (20-of-65) from the floor, 27.3% (3-of-11) from beyond the arc and 75.0% (21-of-28) on free throws.
- Jefferson outrebounded Georgian Court by a 51-46 margin.
- The Rams forced 25 turnovers and converted them into 26 points.
- Jefferson held GCU to 23.4% (15-of-64) shooting.
- The Rams allowed just 35 points, the lowest total conceded since Jefferson defeated Georgian Court, 66-34 on Dec. 6, 2016.
- Kaminski has reached double figures in 11 straight games while Cunningham's streak is at seven contests.
- Jefferson is one of five undefeated teams left in Division II (Northwest Nazarene, Drury, UC San Diego and Indiana, Pa.) after Fort Hays State was knocked off by Emporia State, 54-51 on Wednesday.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 766th of his career and the 617th at the helm of the Rams.
Caldwell visits the Gallagher Center to face the Rams on Sunday, January 20 at 2 p.m. The Cougars defeated Jefferson, 69-59 at Caldwell last season.