BLOOMFIELD, N.J. - The No. 8/9 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (24-2, 15-2 CACC) bounced back with an emphatic 97-52 victory at Bloomfield (5-21, 4-13 CACC) on Saturday afternoon.
The Rams are ranked eighth in this week's WBCA Coaches Poll and they are ninth in the D2SIDA Media Poll.
The Rams dominated the contest, shooting 53.6% (37-of-69) while holding the Bears to just 30.3% (20-of-66). Jefferson scored the first seven points of the game and 12 of the first 14. With the score 16-7, the Rams increased their lead to 21 with a 12-0 run. The women were up 28-13 entering the second quarter. Jefferson posted the initial seven points of the frame to make it a 22-point game. The margin did not dip below 20 for the rest of the game. The Rams led 49-26 at halftime and their largest lead was 49 late in the fourth.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Six Rams scored in double figures led by sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham's 19. She added seven assists, five rebounds, three steals and one block.
- Junior Alynna Williams shot 7-for-11 and finished with 18 points.
- Seniors Beverly Kum and Jessica Kaminski each posted a double-double. Kum tallied 14 points, 12 boards, four assists and four steals while Kaminski recorded 13 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Kaminski was 6-of-8 from the field.
- Senior Erin Maher contributed with 13 points and freshman Maddie Haney chipped in with 11 off the bench.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams were 37-of-69 (53.6%) from the floor, 12-of-27 (44.4%) from three and 11-of-18 (61.1%) at the line.
- Jefferson outrebounded Bloomfield by a 44-40 margin. The Rams grabbed 15 offensive boards and scored 19 second chance points.
- The Rams forced 20 Bears' turnovers and converted them into 31 points.
- Jefferson's 12 makes from beyond the arc are the highest this year and the most since the Rams hit 16 at Wilmington (Del.) on January 16, 2018.
- It was the largest margin of victory for Jefferson this season and the biggest since an 87-42 victory at Post on January 22, 2016.
- It was the Rams' first win at Bloomfield since 2006.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 772nd of his career and the 623rd at the helm of the Rams.
Jefferson plays its final home game of the regular season on Wednesday, February 27 when the Rams welcome Chestnut Hill to the Gallagher Center. Tip-off is at 6 p.m. Jefferson held off the Griffins, 91-86 on the road on January 8. The Rams had an 81-71 overtime victory at home last season.