PHILADELPHIA – The Thomas Jefferson University women's basketball team (1-1) cruised to a 65-35 victory over Molloy (1-1) at Chestnut Hill College on Sunday evening.
The Rams allowed the first four points of the game but followed with a 12-2 run to take the lead. Four different players scored in the rally. Jefferson held the Lions at bay for the rest of the opening quarter and led 21-12 going into the second.
After senior Alynna Williams drilled a three to start the second, Molloy closed the gap to six with six straight points. However, the Rams responded with a 16-2 stretch to finish the half and enter the locker room ahead 40-20. Williams posted 12 points in the half with four three-pointers.
In the third, the Lions trimmed the deficit to 19 (45-26) with 3:57 to go. Jefferson then finished the period with a trio of threes around a Molloy layup to take a 54-28 cushion into the fourth. The Rams outscored the Lions, 11-7 in the final stanza.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Williams totaled 19 points on 7-of-13 shooting, including 5-of-7 from three-point range.
- Freshman Haley Meinel tallied nine points, six rebounds and four steals.
- Junior Sabria Lytes and sophomore Maddie Haney each scored eight points. Haney added nine boards and four assists while Lytes grabbed five rebounds.
- Sophomore Bridget Arcidiacono and freshman Maeve McCann contributed with seven points apiece. Arcidiacono also had seven boards.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 40.0% (24-for-60) from the field, an impressive 55.6% (10-for-18) from beyond the arc and 70.0% (7-for-10) from the foul line.
- Jefferson controlled the glass by a 43-27 count.
- The 35 points was the lowest allowed by the Rams since they held Georgian Court to 35 on January 16, 2019.
- It was Jefferson's first game with double-digit threes since it had 12 at Bloomfield on February 23, 2019.
- The win marked Tom Shirley's 778th career win at 629th at Jefferson.
The Rams head to New York Tech on Wednesday, November 13 for a 5 p.m. game.