OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – The Thomas Jefferson University women's basketball team (1-2) suffered a 59-48 loss at New York Tech on Wednesday evening.
The teams went back-and-forth throughout the first quarter. Neither team led by more than a basket and the Rams were ahead 14-13 entering the second period. Senior Alynna Williams opened the frame with a three, giving Jefferson a four-point advantage. With the score 19-16, the Bears embarked on a 10-0 run to take over. The Rams scored the final bucket before the break and trailed 26-21.
NYIT produced the first five points of the third, increasing their lead to 31-21. The score was 39-29 at the 6:31 mark. Then, the Bears tallied the next six points for a 16-point cushion (45-29). Down 47-34, Jefferson posted the last six points to trail 47-40 after three. The teams traded baskets in the final quarter and the margin remained seven (55-48) with 3:16 to play. The Bears made two jumpers while the Rams failed to counter down the stretch.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Williams scored a team-high 12 points.
- Freshman Morgan Robinson contributed with eight points and six steals off the bench.
- Junior Sabria Lytes grabbed nine rebounds and added six points and two blocks.
- Freshman Haley Meinel totaled six points and four steals.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 28.8% (17-of-59), 11.8% (2-of-17) from three, and they went 92.3% (12-of-13) at the line.
- Jefferson forced 23 New York Tech turnovers.
The Rams conclude their season-opening four-game road trip at West Chester on Sunday, November 17 at 1 p.m.