PHILADELPHIA – The Thomas Jefferson University women's basketball team (2-3) faltered down the stretch and dropped its home opener to Kutztown (1-3), 65-61 on Tuesday night.
The teams traded baskets throughout the opening quarter. The Golden Bears had a 21-20 advantage heading into the second. Kutztown built its lead up to five (30-25) but the Rams managed to tie the score at 32. The Golden Bears bested Jefferson by two in the last two and a half minutes and took a 38-36 advantage into the locker room.
The Rams started the second half with five straight points to go ahead 41-38. The teams were evenly matched for the rest of the frame with five lead changes and two ties. Jefferson was in front, 51-49, heading to the fourth. The Rams were up four (55-51) with just over six minutes to play. An 8-0 Kutztown run gave the Golden Bears a 59-55 lead before Jefferson tied it at 59 (2:44). The Golden Bears seized the upper hand with a three (1:24) and the Rams had a jumper (1:02). Kutztown had three free throws in the final moments while Jefferson could not convert down the stretch.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Haley Meinel tallied a team-high 14 points and five rebounds.
- Sophomore Maddie Haney recorded 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting with a trio of three-pointers.
- Senior Alynna Williams totaled 11 points, four rebounds and four assists.
- Freshman Morgan Robinson contributed with nine points off the bench.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 38.9% (21-of-54) from the field, 50.0% (6-of-12) on three-pointers and 92.9% (13-of-14) from the foul line.
- Jefferson controlled the glass by a 40-34 margin.
The Rams host Shippensburg on Tuesday, November 26 at 6 p.m.