PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University women's tennis ended its fall season with a 5-1 loss to the University of the Sciences in the first round of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Tournament.
Philadelphia (6-8) recorded its victory in the No. 1 doubles match as Jala Hamada (Giza, Egpyt/Dar El-Tarbia, IGCSE) and Linde Zwaan (Apeldoorn, Netherlands/Gymnasium Apeldoorn) knocked off Elkanah Linder and Abby Gamarnik by an 8-2 score. The win—the second of the year over Linder and Gamarnik—improved Hamada and Zwaan's record as a tandem to 9-3.
USciences—who had wins in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles and No. 1, No. 2, and No. 4 singles—is now 11-4 and will face top seed Goldey-Beacom in the semifinal round on Saturday, Oct. 22 at Chestnut Hill.
UNIVERSITY OF THE SCIENCES 5, PHILADELPHIA U. 1
1. Jala Hamada/Linde Zwaan (PHI) def. Elkanah Linder/Abby Gamarnik (USCI), 8-2
2. Karla Miletic/Julia James (USCI) def. Usha Baublitz/Mariana Sampaio (PHI), 8-0
3. Jillyan Serrano/Gabrielle Soriano (USCI) def. Emily Zygmunt/Katelyn High (PHI), 8-3
1. Miletic (USCI) def. Hamada (PHI), 6-2, 6-0
2. Linder (USCI) def. Zwaan (PHI), 6-0, 6-2
3. Baublitz (PHI) vs. Gamarnik (USCI), unfinished
4. James (USCI) def. Zygmunt (PHI), 6-1, 6-1
5. Sampaio (PHI) vs. Serrano (USCI), unfinished
6. High (PHI) vs. Soriano (USCI), unfinished