PHILADELPHIA – The fourth-seeded Thomas Jefferson University women's tennis team (9-6) dominated singles play to defeat fifth-seeded Chestnut Hill (6-7), 4-2 in the first round of the CACC Tournament on Tuesday.
The Rams dropped the doubles point to start the day but sophomore Ines Blanc and senior Millie Coombes earned victories at third and fourth singles respectively to give Jefferson the lead. After Chestnut Hill tied the match with a win at first singles, junior Eryn Nguyen put the Rams back in front, winning at fifth singles. Then, senior Katelyn High clinched the match for Jefferson with the decision at sixth singles.
1. Barbara Broville (CHCW) def. Marta Yevstakhevych (JEFFWTEN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Chang Wei (JEFFWTEN) vs. Carlota Garcia (CHCW) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), unfinished
3. Ines Blanc (JEFFWTEN) def. Nicole Yang (CHCW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Millie Coombes (JEFFWTEN) def. Gianna Vassalluzzo (CHCW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Eryn Nguyen (JEFFWTEN) def. Mariana Sanchez (CHCW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Katelyn High (JEFFWTEN) def. Rachael Millan (CHCW) 6-3, 6-0
1. Carlota Garcia/Gianna Vassalluzzo (CHCW) def. Marta Yevstakhevych/Millie Coombes (JEFFWTEN) 6-3
2. Chang Wei/Ines Blanc (JEFFWTEN) def. Nicole Yang/Mariana Sanchez (CHCW) 6-0
3. Rachael Millan/Barbara Broville (CHCW) def. Katelyn High/Eryn Nguyen (JEFFWTEN) 6-4
- It was the 20th career singles victory for Blanc.
- It is Jefferson's first trip to the CACC semifinals since 2014.
The Rams head to Post University for the semifinal round. They will face the top seed, Concordia (N.Y.), on Friday, October 25 at 10 a.m.