MILLERSVILLE, Pa. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) volleyball team fell at Millersville (2-3), 3-0 in the Rams' season opener on Tuesday night.
Jefferson got off to a fast start, notching the first five points of the match, including a pair of service aces by sophomore Molly Hand. The Maruaders rallied for six consecutive points to take a 6-5 lead. The teams went back and forth for the next several points until the Rams were ahead 13-11. Millersville then caught fire, going on a 13-2 run for a 24-15 advantage. The Maruaders prevailed in the set, 25-16.
In the second set, Millersville held a 5-4 lead but increased it to six (11-5) with a 6-1 rally. Down 21-12, Jefferson fought back with five of the next six points to get within five but the Maruaders recorded four kills on the way to taking the frame, 25-18.
The teams traded points to begin the third set and the Rams were ahead 5-4. However, Millersville got hot once again, scoring six in a row for a 10-5 advantage. Jefferson was within four (11-7) but the Marauders upped the margin to eight (15-7). The Rams were able to close the gap to five (21-16) but Millersville pulled away and finished the match with a 25-18 set victory.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Abigail Kress recorded a team-high 11 kills.
- Junior Logan Dontell tallied five kills and five blocks.
- Junior Lauren Kloos totaled six kills and 10 digs.
- Sophomore Molly Hand contributed with 27 assists and three service aces while senior Alexis Leddy posted 19 digs.
- Dontell registered her 200th career block. She now has 201.
- Kress picked up her 500th career kill and now has 501 during her tenure.
The Rams head to the Wildcat Regional Invitational hosted by Wilmington (Del.) this weekend. Jefferson plays Adelphi (3 p.m.) and Franklin Pierce (7 p.m.) on Friday, September 13.