EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) volleyball team (5-3) split a pair of matches on the first day of the ESU Invitational at East Stroudsburg on Friday.
The Rams fell to the host Warriors, 3-2 before bouncing back to sweep Southern Connecticut State, 3-0.
GAME ONE – L, 3-2 vs. East Stroudsburg
ESU started out strong, going ahead by an 8-2 score on the way to winning the first set, 25-11. Jefferson controlled the majority of the second frame and evened the match up with a 25-20 decision.
The third set was tightly contested between the two squads. Trailing 21-18, the Warriors rallied for five straight points to take the lead. They held off the Rams to take the set, 25-23. After falling behind early in the fourth, Jefferson stormed back to tie the score at 13. With the score even at 17, the Rams went on a 6-0 run to go ahead and went on for a 25-19 victory.
In the fifth, ESU was down by one (3-2) before taking control with a 6-1 run. However, Jefferson climbed back to take an 11-10 advantage. The Warriors swung the momentum into their favor once again, scoring five of the last six points to take the match, 15-12.
GAME TWO – W, 3-0 vs. Southern Connecticut State
The Rams got off to a hot start, taking an early 9-2 lead in the opening set. The Owls were only able to get within six as Jefferson claimed the first stanza, 25-14. The second set was closer, with SCSU leading for the majority of the frame. However, with the Rams behind 22-19, they rallied for five straight points. Due to a scoring discrepancy that was not protested by either team, Jefferson won the set by a 24-22 score.
In the third, the teams were tied at seven before Jefferson pulled away with a 9-1 rally. The Rams went on to take the set, 25-22 to secure the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Lauren Kloos totaled 19 kills, four service aces, 13 digs and five blocks on the day.
- Junior Logan Dontell produced six kills, two service aces, five digs and eight blocks.
- Senior Amber Johnson recorded 11 kills while freshman Gianna Napoleon contributed with nine.
- Senior Mariah Cadzow and junior Abigail Kress each had nine kills and Cadzow also totaled 17 digs.
- Sophomore Molly Hand amassed 63 assists and senior Alexis Leddy tallied 39 digs.
- The 3-0 victory over Southern Connecticut State was Jefferson's first sweep of the season and their 15th under head coach Latifa Raheem.
- The Rams are now 3-2 in five-set matches this season and 5-3 under Raheem.
Jefferson closes the ESU Invitational on Saturday, September 21 with matches against Stonehill (4 p.m. ) and West Chester (8 p.m.).