PHILADELPHIA – The Thomas Jefferson University volleyball team (14-9, 9-5 CACC) came from behind to force a fifth set but was edged by city rival Holy Family (16-8, 10-3 CACC), 3-2 on Wednesday night.
The Tigers jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the opening set and did not trail throughout. Their largest cushion was six en route to a 25-21 win. Holy Family got off to a hot start in the second, posting the first 11 points of the frame. The Rams managed to close the gap to two (16-14) but the Tigers went on a 6-0 run for some breathing room. HFU went on to take the set, 25-20.
After falling behind 2-0 to start the third, Jefferson had a 9-0 stretch to take the advantage. The Rams cruised to a 25-16 victory. In the fourth, there were 10 ties early with the last coming at 12 apiece. Jefferson rallied for four points in a row to go in front. The Tigers came no closer than three for the rest of the stanza with the Rams winning 25-19.
In the final set, the teams were tied at six. Holy Family scored three straight points before Jefferson responded with six in a row for a 12-9 lead. The Tigers came back to even the score at 13. With the score tied at 14, a kill and an attack error gave HFU the match.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Lauren Kloos recorded a team-high 14 kills and 11 digs.
- Junior Abigail Kress and senior Amber Johnson produced 12 and 11 kills respectively. Kress added seven digs and two blocks while Johnson made four blocks.
- Junior Cassandra Hickman tallied eight kills and junior Logan Dontell had seven. Dontell hit .375 for the match.
- Sophomore Molly Hand compiled 48 assists and nine digs.
- Senior Alexis Leddy, junior Caitlin Crespo and senior Mariah Cadzow contributed with 21, 13 and 13 digs respectively. Cadzow added three service aces.
- Johnson recorded her 500th career kill during the match.
Jefferson hosts Concordia (N.Y.) for Senior Day on Saturday, November 2 at 1 p.m.