CALDWELL, N.J. – The Thomas Jefferson University volleyball team (17-12) had its season come to an end with a 3-0 loss at Caldwell (14-18) in the quarterfinals of the CACC Tournament on Tuesday.
The Rams were the third seed in the South Division while the Cougars are seeded second in the North Division.
There were six ties early in the first set. The score was even at eight when Caldwell tallied six straight to go ahead 14-8. The Rams fought back and got within one at 21-20. However, the Cougars responded with a 4-1 run to win the frame, 25-21.
Caldwell started the second strong with the first four points and nine of the first 11. Again, Jefferson inched closer throughout the set, eventually trailing by just one (20-19). Similar to the first stanza, the Cougars recovered for five of the last six points, claiming the set 25-20.
In the third, Caldwell scored the first three points. The Rams battled back and took a 13-11 advantage. However, the Cougars rattled off six consecutive points to take over. They built the margin to six (22-16) before Jefferson rallied to tie the score at 23 with a 7-1 stretch. Caldwell then recorded two kills to clinch the match, 25-23.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Abigail Kress tallied nine kills and four digs.
- Junior Lauren Kloos recorded eight kills and six digs.
- Juniors Logan Dontell and Cassandra Hickman had seven kills apiece. Dontell added three blocks.
- Sophomore Molly Hand totaled 30 assists.
- Junior Caitlin Crespo produced 16 digs and senior Alexis Leddy had 11. Leddy ends her career as the Rams' all-time leader with 1,585.
- It was the 14th consecutive appearance for the Rams in the CACC Tournament.
- Dontell reached 300 career blocks.
Jefferson is expected to return 10 players to the 2020 squad.